How can you set better boundaries in your life?
I’ve never been one to set boundaries well, in fear of backing down on them or hurting others but a friend of mine and I recently had a conversation about boundary setting so I’ll post her tips for this one.
- When you identify the need to set a boundary, do it clearly, calmly, and in as few words as possible. Do not justify, apologize for, or rationalize the boundary you are setting. Just set the boundary calmly, firmly, clearly, and respectfully.
- After setting your boundaries, you are in no way responsible for how others react to the said boundary. Do not back down on it just to make others happy.
- If you feel selfish or guilty about your new boundary, that’s okay. Keep strong with your boundaries.
- Most people are willing to respect your boundaries, but some are not. Be prepared for this and never back down.
- Setting boundaries can and will take time. Be patient
- Develop a support system of those who support your boundaries and keep them close.
How do you all set boundaries in your lives??